Geoff Dyer’s ten rules for writing fiction
1 Never worry about the commercial possibilities of a project. That stuff is for agents and editors to fret over—or not. Conversation with my American publisher. Me: “I’m writing a book so boring, of such limited commercial appeal, that if you publish it, it will probably cost you your job.” Publisher: “That’s exactly what makes me want to stay in my job.”
2 Don’t write in public places. In the early 1990s I went to live in Paris. The usual writerly reasons: back then, if you were caught writing in a pub in England, you could get your head kicked in, whereas in Paris,dans les cafés … Since then I’ve developed an aversion to writing in public. I now think it should be done only in private, like any other lavatorial activity.
3 Don’t be one of those writers who sentence themselves to a lifetime of sucking up to Nabokov.
4 If you use a computer, constantly refine and expand your autocorrect settings. The only reason I stay loyal to my piece-of-shit computer is that I have invested so much ingenuity into building one of the great auto-correct files in literary history. Perfectly formed and spelt words emerge from a few brief keystrokes: “Niet” becomes “Nietzsche,” “phoy” becomes “photography” and so on. Genius!
5 Keep a diary. The biggest regret of my writing life is that I have never kept a journal or a diary.
6 Have regrets. They are fuel. On the page they flare into desire.
7 Have more than one idea on the go at any one time. If it’s a choice between writing a book and doing nothing I will always choose the latter. It’s only if I have an idea for two books that I choose one rather than the other. I always have to feel that I’m bunking off from something.
8 Beware of clichés. Not just the clichés that Martin Amis is at war with. There are clichés of response as well as expression. There are clichés of observation and of thought—even of conception. Many novels, even quite a few adequately written ones, are clichés of form which conform to clichés of expectation.
9 Do it every day. Make a habit of putting your observations into words and gradually this will become instinct. This is the most important rule of all and, naturally, I don’t follow it.
10 Never ride a bike with the brakes on. If something is proving too difficult, give up and do something else. Try to live without resort to perseverance. But writing is all about perseverance. You’ve got to stick at it. In my 30s I used to go to the gym even though I hated it. The purpose of going to the gym was to postpone the day when I would stop going. That’s what writing is to me: a way of postponing the day when I won’t do it any more, the day when I will sink into a depression so profound it will be indistinguishable from perfect bliss.
- anotherlittleworld reblogged this from withnopowercomesnoresponsibility
- alycat150 likes this
- morgynleri likes this
- sacredpools likes this
- greenkneehighs likes this
- elreydelmar likes this
- sweetmarigold reblogged this from bedlamsbard
- skiesfyre likes this
- bedlamsbard reblogged this from sashayed
- seawtich likes this
- allisoneffingargent likes this
- loganphive likes this
- adashinobenio reblogged this from thymoss
- blueshallows likes this
- shanecashman likes this
- thelongrift likes this
- toponym likes this
- libraryfines reblogged this from sashayed
- gkpaint reblogged this from sashayed
- untaintedinnocence reblogged this from joehillsthrills
- alienwitchlily likes this
- indigo-blue-2 reblogged this from mason-rhett-ford
- mikefrawley likes this
- ohlookdonuts likes this
- fakesurprise likes this
- triciasarmiento likes this
- thesealivesinme likes this
- kittygory likes this
- pandemick likes this
- onefoot-forward likes this
- jaegermighty likes this
- moriann reblogged this from sashayed
- beyondanythingelse reblogged this from siriusblaque
- its-a--love-story likes this
- mjfiedler reblogged this from theparisreview
- deliciousghosts likes this
- you-keep-me-right-jw reblogged this from otp221b
- lightlyirradiatedsteak reblogged this from spookybocchan
- otp221b reblogged this from elizabethminkel and added:
- otp221b likes this
- rycbar-4321 reblogged this from pretenditwasjustadream
- rycbar-4321 likes this
- pretenditwasjustadream likes this
- pretenditwasjustadream reblogged this from wannonce
- wannonce reblogged this from fukacchi
- chowleen likes this
- sunnydisposish likes this
- fukacchi reblogged this from thymoss
- elizabethminkel reblogged this from theparisreview and added: